4 Jan 2021
We wanted to touch base with you all in light of recent changes to restrictions in aged care as a result of the unfolding COVID-19 status across Victoria.
We are all learning to live with COVID-19 within our communities and while there are no current cases in Shepparton, the cases across Victoria mean that restrictions and responses can change rapidly. As such, we want to assure you that what we put in place is for the benefit of our residents, our staff and their families, and while they are restrictive in nature, they are carefully discussed, planned and assessed to ensure that we can continue to live our lives while adhering to directives that protect us all.
There are two main additions to our recent communication of January 1, 2021 which signalled the closure of Shepparton Villages facilities to all visitors as a precaution and in line with the Department of Health & Human Services Residential Aged Care Restriction.
- If you meet the exception criteria to the visitor rules as outlined below, you must make a booking to visit a loved one by calling 0429138978 ONLY between the hours of 10am and 2pm, Monday to Friday. This phone will not be monitored outside these times. No visitors will be permitted access to facilities unless a booking is made.
- Residents may leave the facility at any time – there is no restriction on reasons why residents may leave the facility, however once they leave the Shepparton Villages grounds, they must adhere to the same restrictions as every other Victorian current at that time. This includes infection control measures, restrictions on visiting designated areas, limits on private and public gatherings and not visiting people who are in quarantine or isolation. On return to the Shepparton Villages facilities, residents will undergo the mandatory screening process.
As per our communication on January 1, 2021, the only exemptions to visiting Shepparton Villages facilities are in the following situations:
- Parent/guardian of a resident who is a minor: Where the resident is aged under 18 years—the visitor is the parent or guardian of the resident or has temporary care of the resident (very few limits)
- ‘Normal’ visitors: Where the visitor is the parent, guardian, partner, carer or support person of the resident, and the person's visit is for the purpose of providing emotional, cultural, spiritual or social support to the resident that cannot reasonably be provided by that person via electronic or other non-contact means (1 visitor at any time, once per day for max 2hrs)
- Essential care persons: Visitor’s presence at the facility is for the purposes of providing essential care and support necessary for the resident's physical wellbeing that optimises the care and support delivered by workers at the facility and cannot reasonably be provided by that person via electronic means (1 visitor, no time limits)
- Essential behaviour assistance person: Visitor’s presence at the facility is necessary to support individual behaviours of concern, such as for people living with dementia, cognitive impairment or cognitive disability, or who have a known or emerging serious mental illness (no time limits)
- Interpreters or informal language support (no time limit)
- Visitor is being assisted to handover care for discharge (max 2 hrs)
- Visitor is viewing facility as a potential site to live in (max 2 hrs)
- End of life – 2 visitors, no time limit
Unfortunately, these restrictions are now part of life as we navigate COVID-19, and we strongly seek your assistance in cooperating with these directives.
We will keep you posted on any changes or easing of the listed restrictions and thank you in advance for your cooperation.
We have updated and amended our screening document slightly to reflect the situation in NSW and we urge you to please check the nominated Victorian community hotspots as listed by the Department of Health and Human Services and follow the advised procedures. Please contact us if you have visited Shepparton Villages and are deemed to be a close contact.
We thank you for your patience and we will keep you updated as more information comes to hand.